Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fewer CMS work better than more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelajhia

Programmer
May 19, 1999
US
I am working with someone new and they have suggested to me that too many redundant cms services running (say on 3 or 4 servers) will not offer improvement in processing but might actually cause issues as opposed to setting up 2 cms to run on 2 servers, and have any remaining servers running without cms.

thoughts/experience?

most places I've been have only had 2 servers tops anyway so this has not come up for me.

thnx

The CMS Server process is the "brains" of your system. It handles all of the communication between the server processes and is also responsible for all user authentication and access rights. It also periodically pings each of the server processes in the whole BO cluster (not just the server it's running on!) to determine whether the process is alive. So, when you have a CMS Server process running on a server, there is a lot of processing overhead for everything that the CMS does. If you have two CMS's running, you have automatic fail-over. If you have more than two servers in your cluster, having a CMS running on each may add to redundancy, but it also increases the network traffic between all of the servers in the cluster.

So, to get the most report processing out of your system, I would stop and disable the CMS on two of your servers (also go to the CMS server properties and turn off the option to start it when the SIA starts) - this way you don't have to re-add them if you need to quickly start one, but it's not going to be taking up resources by running when it doesn't need to.

-Dell

DecisionFirst Technologies - Seven-time SAP BusinessObjects Solution Partner of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back