Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FEEDBACK

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxlargewasp

Programmer
May 1, 2002
AE
i have a pure static website. and i need to create a feedback page. i thought this could be done by CGI. could you explain me in brief how to implement this? where to get the FREE code from? and where to store the CGI code?

thanks. ....:::::.... xxLargeWASP ....:::::....

The easiest/quickest route would be to use a mailto anchor tag in your html. That has the disadvantage of needing to use a email client on your user's box. Some people will not want their email address going with the feedback.

If you really want to do it with CGI, you'll need to enable
CGI in your web server. If you are using apache, you want
to add the execCGI option for your cgi-bin directory. See
the apache docs/faqs for details. It is simple to do. You can use a very simple piece of CGI to confirm that the web server is working.

There are a few examples of CGI code in faq452-653.

Once you're sure your web server is doing the CGI trick, you'll need an html input page to submit the fields you want to report and a piece of CGI to catch the submitted page and do something with it like write the info to disk or email it somewhere. Again, see the faq for some examples.
'hope this helps

If you are new to Tek-Tips, please use descriptive titles, check the FAQs, and beware the evil typo.

thanks for help :)
one more question .. i'm using IIS, how can i enable the CGI in this case?

thanks ....:::::.... xxLargeWASP ....:::::....

You've got me. I live in an Apache world. I'm sure the IIS docs spell it out. It should not be hard, just a matter of finding that specific topic.

Sorry, I can't be of more assistance on that front. 'hope this helps

If you are new to Tek-Tips, please use descriptive titles, check the FAQs, and beware the evil typo.

Having the (mis?)fortune of working with IIS here at the office, try the following:

To enable CGI in any directory, just go into the IIS Management Console, choose the directory, view it's properties, and under the tab labeled Directory set the permission to Execute (including script).

Please keep in mind that this is how to accomplish this using IIS 4.0. I cannot guarantee this works for IIS 5.0.

- Rieekan

thank you guys :) ....:::::.... xxLargeWASP ....:::::....

Status
Not open for further replies.