Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Feedback please

Status
Not open for further replies.

wardo

Technical User
May 25, 2001
US
I am still trying to learn Dreamweaver but I have updated my site and need some feedback please.

Thanks

Some reason for combining catastrohpic event with your resume? I could udnerstand it if your were a war reporter but otheriwse?!? Why? Is this done on purpsoe, or is the wrong page laoding?

(1) Your intro page does not epxand up for 1024 x 640 res screen settings.

(2) Your photo albums are a bit of a mess to look at, thumbnails are all over the palce and many of the alrger images don't fit on the screen(and are too big file sizes).
(3) Resum layout is a mess
(4) You've got no meta tags
(5) home page is saved as "untitled"
(6) Why the rollovers? What is the point? To show you can do it? Why not have an animated gif or flash movie that rotates images

Hope this dosn't sound harsh, twas nto emant to, figured you don't want praise, wnated to know what you could look at improving.

I understand the resume points you bring up,I was trying to keep that area of the site seperate from the main content.

How do I fix the intro page 1024x640 issue?

Dreamweaver/Fireworks created the albums so I guess I have to redo manually?I thought the idea was to let the program manage the creation,file size etc.

No meta tags??

Thanks again.

Yes, manually is the answer. After exporting from fireworks, set table widths to 100%, and fool about with the images in % too. You can change table cell backgrounds to blue too if that helps. Be careful to check it still works in ns4.7, especially on a mac if you can.

Checkout out Don't laugh) Good code and expands up and down well.

Meta tags describe your page to a search engine. no meta tags = ranking really crappy. There is a good extension at the MM website that automates the process.

And it doesn't fit on my 15 inch screen either.

Gives people the shits to have to scroll right.

Thanks again.
What am I doing wrong here with fitting the screen issues.
I must be starting off incorrectly but I do not know what I am doing wrong.

(1) Check your resolution in fireworks is 72 dots/cm2(or whatever that is in inches.

(2) Set you max width in fireworks at 730, that way at 800x 600 res it will still fit on a 14 inch screen. It won't however, fit on anything at 600 x 480 but you have to draw the line somewhere. If you want you can do another page for super low res.

(3) Expand you pags up using tables or % inlayers.

(4) Consider getter a resolution sniffer. in some cases, I've foudn expanding tables up and down to be a problem with layout, so I build three different pages, and set a sniff up based on resolution. The is and extension for this on the web, it might e at MM, I'm not sure.

For the different resolutions, change the iamge size of your fireworks image to match that of each resolution(slightly smaller actually), export it, then set the iamges up in a page spcific to that resolution. Have as your intro page and empty page witht he snifferr that will send users to the right page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back