Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Feedback needed for new website

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiterm

Programmer
May 17, 2004
GB
Hiya guys,

Just a quickie, I've just launched a new website/service and would love some feedback on what you think of the general design, linking, search facility etc. Also feedback about whether you think the concept is good or bad would be fantastic, or if you want to try the service out, even better!!

Any help, advice will be gratefully appreciated.

Rob Waite

Visually, I think it looks very good and performed well in the two browsers I viewed it in (IE6 and FF1.5).

Technically, I think there are lot of improvements you could make (e.g get rid of the tables for layout, move the inline styles to a CSS file etc). I'd suggest posting in the HTML/CSS forum (forum215) for technical opinions and improvements.

Need help finding an answer?

Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244 on how to get better results.

Many thanks, a couple of poeple have picked up on the tables, so will definitely attack them soon. We're going to get a chap to analyse the site for SEO as well which should hopefully enlighten us of a few more technical issues. Also, thanks for the suggested forum, very useful.

Rob Waite

Get rid of the cute-sy Flash on the main page. I don't have Flash installed, and it leaves a huge blank spot like a missing graphic. You can set the page up for the Flash to work without it being installed on the viewer's computer, too, I know.

As well, it'd be nice to have a choice how many items to view on a page. I just went to ovens, and there are 1255 products, displayed 10 at a time. When I visit a site with a lot of choices, I usually opt to have the page display 100 items at a time, or as close to that as I can.

At the bottom of the page, your Today's Popular Products section overlaps the section underneath, and the line above "© text4price.com Website by ic360 Limited & Hostpipe Limited" isn't visible.

You might want to indicate the country you're in somewhere more prominent, too. I didn't find that until I went to the Help page. I know the prices are pretty much a dead giveaway that you're in the UK, but it would be nice to know up front so I wouldn't waste my time looking if I were from another English speaking country.

I like the simple, no-nonsense business approach, though I know that's not what catches everyone's eye. Something about the color scheme says "too much pastel", though I like the combination that's bright without the colors screaming.

Lee

We're going to get a chap to analyse the site for SEO as well which should hopefully enlighten us of a few more technical issues.
Check out the SEO forum here forum828 - pretty much all the SEO advice you will need is there... just read through the advice already posted (it's not a particularly high traffic forum).

Cheers,
Jeff

[tt]Jeff's Page @ Code Couch
[/tt]

What is Javascript? FAQ216-6094

I don't mind the Flash if used sparingly, but I think it goes on for too long. It's best used as an attention-grabber, and it does that... but then it loses me because it goes on too long. I'd limit it to about 8 seconds or so, max.

From a graphics standpoint (I haven't looked at your code), I like the overall design of the page, except for the color palette. I think the magenta and blue combine for a very cold look. Warming up one, if not both, of those colors (e.g., a brighter cyan instead of the lavender-ish blue?) will make your page more inviting, IMHO.

Good luck!

-- Chuckdesign :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back