Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fedora Core md5sum usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughLg

Programmer
Feb 18, 2002
MY
I'm using Windows XP SP 2. I'm going to download, burned into CD and installing Fedora Core into my computer. According to the instruction in download, I can download and use file named md5sum to check the .iso file whether it's downloaded properly. I've downloaded it. But by looking to the instruction, this file is a executable file. But what I got is non-extentioned file. I've tried to open it with Internet Explorer and able to view the data properly. But how can I use the file named md5sum to check the .iso file downloaded later? Since it's not executable file?

I've no any knowledge in using Linux OS, but just wanna try out somethings free better things, thanks for any appreciated help.

??? did you download md5sum for windows or linux?

md5sum is an executable file and you should issue:

/path_to_md5/md5sum file.iso

I don't know this matter, I just followed the download instructions in Fedora Project web site, and download the file in mirror. in that mirror, i can only found this non-extentioned md5sum. where can i get that file whether Windows or Linux?

after downloading and burning the 4 discs when you boot off disc1 it will ask you if you want to verify the cd contents first-select yes and this is the md5sum check.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

i can only found this non-extentioned md5sum.

yes, that's the linux version of md5sum. Search in google for md5sum for windows.

Cheers.

Guys - check out the Cygwin build for the GNU project at:

I use the Cygwin/GNU binaries on a bunch of stuff, particularly for development. All your Unix tools on Windoze ... not exactly heaven, but better than the alternative!

John Lopez
Enterprise PDM Architect
john.l.lopez@goodrich.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back