Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fedora core 3 installation will not boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekpchak

Technical User
Jan 5, 2005
US
Hello,
I currently am trying to install fedora core 3 on my new pc I built. However when I put the boot disk in and it tries to boot off disk. It does nothing. You can hear the CD spin up like it is trying to boot but no luck. Then the green light on the monitor goes amber as if it lost video input. Now if I take the disk out and try and boot the xp portion of my hard drive it will not. I have had fedora core 2 installed on this coputer just a day ago. I wanted to put the new core 3 on though. My configuration is

AMD 64 3000 cpu
ASUS k8n motherboard
512MB Mushkin ddr400 memory
120GB Western Digital drive
128MB apollo nvidia mx440-8x video card

Try getting your computer to boot to anything. If it won't you have a hardware problem you need to address.

I have installed xp since this problem occured and it is now working fine. So that rules out hardware. I did not have time to install FC2 on it after that.

Check the BIOS settings for LBA. FC2 had a problem where it would get the 'real' disk geometry from the BIOS, and use it to update the partition table. This in turn stopped WinXP from booting on my dual-boot PC, as it was expecting 'logical' geometry.

Tinkering with the BIOS settings makes SFDISK read the logical values instead of the real ones, then your partition table doesn't get hosed.

I have the same problem. My computer boots with other boot cd's like KNOPPIX, Ultimate Boot CD and INSERT.

I just want to install FC3 but it won't boot. Any ideas?

Is the CD good? Can other machines boot to it? If you can boot to those other things-- maybe the CD is bad. It ought to boot up to it and prompt to test the CD-- but maybe it never even can get that far. Can you just put the CD in the drive and look at what is on it while XP is running?

Yes I think so. I have burned it from the iso image twice to be sure and there is no trouble exploring the disc from XP. And I can open the txt-files and read them without trouble...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back