Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fedora 7 - Samba Gotcha or Gotme

Status
Not open for further replies.

nenenaiad

Technical User
Nov 7, 2006
GB
Hi ,

I posted a recent message about two Samba servers on the same network. What I didn't say was that the new servere I was adding in was based upon Fedora 7, and I had been trying to do this for many an hour.

The problem was that basically I could not see the new Fedora core based server in "view workgroup computers" on the XP box.

Today I stumbled across the reason. One of my shares is called general and I noticed that if I went via System/Administration/Server Settings/Samba on the Fedora menu then I could see my general share BUT the visibility box which you see on double clicking the share was not ticked. Upon ticking this box and saving sure enough the Samba Server icon then appeared after a refresh on View Workgroup Window.

I then shut everything down, server and XP box, restarted everything again, and lo and behold the fault was back.
This time I noted that instead of being shown as visible it was marked as hidden, resetting it to visible made it work yet again. So to me it looks like shutting off the machine is toggling this setting !

I am presuming that if I set the share to visible within the smb.conf (I am assuming that this is possible) then my problems will go away.

If you know better, please let me know.

Rgds and thanks for your help.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back