Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fedora 4 dials but can't connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

leehinkleman

Programmer
Feb 14, 2002
NZ
Network Device Control and KPPP both can dial my modem and to begin communicating with my dialup ISP, but the pppd timesout after ~30 seconds without connecting. I tried PAP/CHAP with KPPP, in which I also tried many combinations of 'expect' and 'send' strings under KPPP's 'login scrip' tab.
wvdial from the shell also 'failed to authenticate', even when I added the line 'Stupid Mode = 1' to wvdial.conf.
Thanks for your clues.

I remember having all sorts of issues with a Dell computer/modem when I had "Check carrier line" checked in gnome-ppp's options. I know you aren't using that, but is there a similar option?

Thanks for your reply.
KPPP doesn't seem to have a 'check carrier line' option, but does have a 'customize pppd arguments' option, which allowed me to try, for example, 'noauth'.
I've been using KPPP in FreeBSD to dialup for 4 years, until 2 days ago. My ISP claims nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back