Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Feather Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdy

Technical User
Oct 9, 2002
US
I am relatively new to Photoshop. I have drawn a circle and would like the edges of the circle to fade into the background. I have tried to use the feather tool but have not seen the results that I want. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Sooo many different ways...

on a new layer

1. make the circle with the gradient tool(with one ends value having 0% opacity and moving the other colour along the gradient)
or
2. select the circle (ctrl+click on the thumbnail in the layers palette) Select>modify>contract then invert the selection, use the eraser tool on the circle.
or
3. Create a mask in the circle layer, and use the gradient tool (like above) on the mask.
or
4. simply use the brush, with whatever level of Hardness(feathering) you want and apply it in one place on a new layer
or
5. Use the gradient tool with both points of the same colour(or one the colour you want and one the background colour) change one of the colours(or the background colour value) and reduce the opacity to 0%.
Move the other colours opacity slider along the gradient(keep at 100%) to near(depending on how much 'feathering' of the edge you want), and draw a circle(select the middle point and drag to the outside edge).

or combinations of above

Just a few ways to get you started(there are more). Muck around with these and if anyone else thinks of any ideas, they'll tell you.

Moe: It could have been a real ugly situation, but luckily I managed to shoot him in the spine.

Just noticed 1 and 5 are the same suggestion (i've had a few drinks *lol* friends Stag night 2nite!). Later

Moe: It could have been a real ugly situation, but luckily I managed to shoot him in the spine.

The Feather tool is excellent for this job. You just need some practice. On a new layer, make a circular selection with the Eliptical Marquee Tool.
Do not fill yet. Apply feather (Select/Feather).Now fill the selection with your desired colour. If the feathered edge is to large/soft, duplicate the layer and immediately you will see a change.in the amount of feather. The circle will also get bigger. Youcan do this as many times as you want until the edge looks right and then adjust the diameter by linking all layers and using the transform tool. Then merge the linked layers. Also experiment with the number entered into the feather selection box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back