Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FDISK for XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailor2008

Technical User
Aug 12, 2008
CA
My Windows XP was affected by Virus days ago. I was forced to format my C drive before recovering, however this seemed not enough to eliminate the virus as there was another partition D on the disk.

I tried in BIOS but couldn't see any FORMAT DISK option, does anyone know a way to perform FDISK by using XP recovery disk?

Thanks.

There are a couple of things you can try. First, if you're going to wipe the entire drive clean I'd recommend using Darik's Boot and Nuke that will wipe the drive clean for sure.

If you use your Windows CD to reinstall the OS, when it gets to the point where it asks you to format do a long format. Not a quick one. That should take care of it but remember, it is Windows.

Again, your best bet would be use DBaN to insure nothing is left on the drive. Also know, nothing will be left on the drive. It will kill everything. So back up what you need before you do anything.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

FDISK is a partitioning tool that was included with previous versions of Windows. The current partitioning tool that is included with the Recovery Console is diskpart

From a running windows installation, you can also use disk management to partition and format drives. Start, Run, diskmgmt.msc, OK. In the graphic at the bottom, right click on whichever partition you want to work with.

to perform FDISK by using XP recovery disk?
then the option of using DBAN, would also render any attempt to factory restore (DELL, HP etc.) unusable...

best bet is what SMAH mentioned...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Well, if D is the factory recovery partition & we delete that partition, then the next attempt at a factory restore won't be any better than the dban solution, so I'm not sure it's much better.

tailor2008, before going any further in a direction that might be unrecoverable, how do you know you have a virus? Why do you think that normal antivirus tools can't remove it and this drastic action is required?

I absolutely agree with smah, you only get one chance to screw up and then no chance to recover.

Make certain your virus data files are up-to-date and rescan, choosing every option they offer like "scan zipped files" etc etc etc.

Next download and try sample versions of other virus software that you can find with a google search. Some may only inform you of virus' found (until you purchase) while others may remove them but at least you'll be able to narrow down the virus.

sam

@mscallisto - he already killed the windows install... now the only clue, as smah mentioned, is to find out why he thinks that he has a viral problem...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back