Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FD / Normalization 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Apr 22, 2003
US
Please check if below Normalisation is correct, also advice where to improve and reasons for an improvement.

FDs and thier meaning to be Normalized:

exam_date: the date on which the exam session was held
exam_name: Name of exam to be taken
StudNo: Identify'n Nos of student
exam_time: Time of the exams
exam_location: Location of the exam
Invig_attendant: Invigetator staff in charge of the exam
Co_suppervisor: Supervisor attending the
Supper2: Suopervisor attending the Exam

Below is my temporary solution:

exam_name -> exam_location
exam_date, exam_location -> Invigilator
Invig_attendance -> exam_location
StudNo -> exam_location, exam_date
exam_date, exam_location -> Co_suppervisor

Below is my normalisation:

Student(StudNo, exam_name)
ExamLocation(Exam_location, exam_name, exam_date, Supperv2)
Staff(exam_name, Invg_attendance, Co_supervisor)

Dan,

On this particular posting, rather than my critiquing/fixing your normalisation, I believe you will be better served by your presenting to us your rationale for the normalisation that you have chosen.

I will get you started by making a general comment, asking some questions (and then asserting some answers) regarding your normalisation:

General comment: The names of your tables and columns should reflect exactly the type of data that you store in a table. For example, your "Student" table has two columns: "StudNo" and "exam_name". I would expect to see a "StudNo" in a "Student" table, but I would also expect to see a Student's "LastName" and "FirstName", as well; I would not expect to seen an "exam_name" in a "Student" table since such a designation disobeys Second Normal Form.

I would, instead, expect to see a "Student_Exam" table that cross references the many-to-many relationship that exists between Students and Exams. I would also expect to see as attributes in the "Student_Exam" table Foreign Keys to "Student", "Exam", and "Location", along with a "Exam_Date", "Exam_Score", et cetera.

I'll say no more at this point...you post us your rationale for your normalisations now.
-

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

How about this:

Student(StudNo, StudNames)
Examination(exam_name, exam_date)
Supervisors(Invg_attendance, Co_supervisor,Supperv2)

Which means, I have added name of students to my table

The question raised now is this:
it is assumed that many studuent writes course CSO9: Oracle Database,

how do I know which staff supervise this particular course?? Shold I inlcude "exam_Code", thus have below normalisation:

Student(StudNo, StudNames, exam_code)
Examination(exam_code, exam_name, exam_date)
Supervisors(exam_code, Invg_attendance, Co_supervisor,Supperv2)

Therefore, My Primary Keys are StudNo, exam_code (STUDENT)
and Foreign Keys: exam_code (EXamination and Supevisors) REFERENCES student.

Please check.....

Dan

Dan,

I have a better solution for you than our attempts at a piecemeal tutorial via Tek-Tips of your database design/normalisation training: If you are serious about learning proper database design and proper normalisation, I highly recommend a great book that you can obtain from Amazon.com, "Case*Method: Entity Relationship Modelling", by Richard Barker. Barker explains things very nicely and progressively builds an easy-to-understand airline-reservation system as a case study throughout the book. Barker was formerly the President of Oracle UK Ltd. and this book is the Bible for database design in the Oracle World.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[ Providing low-cost remote Database Admin services]
Click here to join Utah Oracle Users Group on Tek-Tips if you use Oracle in Utah USA.

Great, Will check on it now.

Many thanks.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back