Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FCAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve64

Technical User
Mar 6, 2008
US
Just a question about FCAS. We have, as do many, nearby area codes that have NXXs that are not long distance. In my RLB I have Entries 0-3 that have refrence to FCI. None of the entries are FCI 0. The FCAS tables were built for both allow and deny so that if local calls were dialed with a "1" the 1 is stripped by the DMI table and sent to the proper trunk. My main question here is that the only NXX entries in the FCAS tables are the local numbers. This being the case I would expect the toll NXXs to be blocked but they in fact are sent out. I have also found several new local NXXs that are not in the tables but they are also sent out. It would seem to me that if a number is not listed in either FCAS table and there is no Entry in the RLI for FCI 0 (no table) that the number should never be sent to a trunk. Am I missing something here or is there a glitch in the system? We run rel 7.0 software. Oh, all of the actual local numbers in the table work correctly.

Just did some additional entc testing. What I observed is that a number that is not in either of the FCAS tables will just go out the Entry 0 route for either of the NPA RLIs, NPA+NXX+DN or 1+NPA+NXX+DN. So my question at this point is if the number is not in a FCAS table does the RLI entry for a particular NPA just ignor the FCI table entry completely? I have been through the NARS/BARS school quite a few years ago and have pulled out the old books and it is pretty sketchy on specifics.

Personally, I let the Telco give the proper recording, just as if you were at your house and dialed wrong. I contend you will forever be chasing new NXXs, and need to constantly update FCAS.

So, the alternative is to build two SPNs (examples 206 and 1206) and let people dial them as they see fit. The cost difference is what if you let all those calls go out the LEC lines. I say let the phone company recording be your user education. That's how it works from home.

Not the helpful post you mgith want - but I have fought this battle so many times, and never won. There is always a new Cellular NPA/NXX opening up without notice.

--
Nortel Resources at GHTROUT.com World Famous!
--

I agree with your idea but it has come down from above that is not how they (Mayor) wants it to work. What you say about the Cellular and LECs is so true. That is why I'm dealing with this now because the old FCAS tables are way out of date (3-4 yrs). Many NPA-NXX calls that should be local are being sent to the local LEC as 1+NPA-NXX-xxxx because they were dialed wrong and the LEC is just passing them along to MCI as LD and we get outragous charges for what should have been free calls.

My original question though was, "how should a number that is not in a FCAS table be handled by the CS1000?" I have been told that there was a glitch in the software that allowed missing numbers to just go out Entry 0. I personnaly don't believe that is a glitch but how it was designed. Any thoughts on that?

I think by default, a number not in FCAS in an NPA will pick the first ENTR.

We set "Extended NXX" for your situation. But it is a big project.

NPAs (you need the space)
206 201
206 202
206 203
1206 201
1206 202
1206 203

etc etc, each one with the respective RLI.

If 1206 201 was dialed, it could be changed with DMI to "work" like 206 201.

So, you'd have four RLIs: 206 local; 206 that needed the 1; 1206 that should not have the 1; 1206 that should have the 1.

I last found a use for FCAS in 1985 I think. They created Extended NPA some time after. If I were going to go so far as manage the NXXs, I might enter every one from 200 to 999 in each NPA "206" and "1206"

What I would really do is tell the LEC to process the call, and not hand any of my local NPAs off to the LD carrier. Set my LEC as my local LD carrier. The cost is not that much more than the LD carrier if you negotiate a plan.

But, I know... it's the Mayor's system.

--
Nortel Resources at GHTROUT.com World Famous!
--

It has been a long time since I've done the FCAs tables because normally in a situation like this I've just used the extended numbering, usually for toll bypass over the customers network. It is a pain to set up, except that scripts can make it much easier and also if it's a new system. I do agree with you that a number not in an FCAS table will just pick the first available ENTR. The biggest problem is tracking down the cellular NXXs as the local LEC doesn't seem to be will to divulge that information.

If you want to accurately maintain NPA/NXX's in your switch go to the North America Numbering Plan Administrator's web page.

For NXX's - The link is Scroll down to the "CO Code (Prefix) Status - Excel Spreadsheet Files" section. Download the zip file for the state that you are in and you'll have a current list of all the NPA-NXX prefixes used in your state.

What I really like is that you'll also see all the new NXX prefixes that will be added in the next few months so you can add them to your PBX before they are actually being used.

The first time you use this you'll have to compare your PBX listings to the spreadsheet to see which prefixes are missing from your PBX. Afterwards just download a new list every six months or so and sort descending by the "assigned date" column. You'll see what prefixes have recently been added without having to compare all the prefixes again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back