Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FCAS confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

hached

Technical User
May 11, 2007
CA
Hello, I enherited a system that uses FCAS tables which I have never personally used and I am very confused!!!

When I look at how the PBX dials NPA 1416 it goes out via RLI 102.

When I print RLI 102 I see a number of target entries.

Entr 0
Route 9 (Main PRI)
FRL 2
FCI 102

Entr 1
Route 9 (Main PRI)
FRL 2
FCI 112

Entr 2
Route 119 (Analog Trunks)
FRL 2
FCI 0

Entr 4
Route 49 (Backup PRI)
FRL 2
FCI 0

There's also another 4 entries below this which are no longer working routes....

So far everything is clear except this FCAS business....

If I look at the 1st FCAS table (102) I see a bunch of Canadien Area Codes and below each 555 is allowed. The second FCAS table (112) has the same area codes but with 555 976 being denied....

So my question is what exactly does this FCAS table do in this situation? What happens if I dial 416-482-1111? I just don't understand why one would use this to block 555 calls when you can do that directly in LD 90????

See why I am confused??!!!

Thanks for any help to clear this mess from my little brain..

If an FCAS table allows NXXs for a given NPA ONLY those listed will be allowed to route over the Entry, any NXX not listed will be Denied.

FCAS provides a way to deny an NPA+NXX on one entry in an RLI while allowing the same NPA+NXX on another entry in the same route list.

their logic for your scenerio, i don't know. to not incur charges from a certain area? to allow ac1+(1)+NPA+555+1212 to be routed over certain type trunks only? (COT)

Mato' Was'aka

Ha, I can tell you the history behind that

Some "less than brilliant" BARS wizard thought that "Since you got two free 555 (Information) calls per month, per trunk", that they would redirect all 555 calls out the "local trunks" rather than the "WATS" lines, which did not offer free info calls.

What the BARS Wizard didn't figure was that any large company would use up "all of the two free 555 calls per local trunk" in the first 30 minutes of the first business day of the month, each month. Then after that 2/10ths of 1% of the billing month there would be zero savings.

But in fact, the time for anyone to figure out the BARS and administer it on an ongoing basis would cost 10 times the savings of trying to get two free Info calls per local trunk per month.

So, just make one RLI, point all of the traditional NPAs to it, then OUT all the others, then the FCAS tables - and you (your PBX) will have joined the post-1990's telecom world :)

~~~
[small] [©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] A Variety of Free Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators [/small]

The FCAS table "DENYs 555" on one ENTR then "ALOWs 555" on the other ENTR of the RLI.

Clearly, in your application, the last person to work on it just gave up. It should have been removed.

~~~
[small] [©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] A Variety of Free Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators [/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back