Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FC5400 Configuration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

awsau

Technical User
May 5, 2005
AU
Hello,
Just wondering if someone could assist. I have acquired an FC5400 that came with a Data General server and later purchased Navisphere software. I have connected the FC5400 to my server running W2K via 2 LP6000s but I cannot get the Navisphere to recognise the array. It shows the host with fault and says the system is inaccessible. If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.
Thanks

What version of Navisphere do you have? 4.x / 5.x or 6.xx?

Hello It is version 5.1.0.

You won't see Clariion if it has not booted its flare code.
You should see no amber lights on the array but particularly the storage processors should have no amber lights. If both sp's are amber, you are not loading code to run the clariion.
Secondly, assuming the Clariion is functional, you will not be able to access the attached storage if there are no luns bound. To bind luns, you'll need to hook up to the Clariion serial port and either go to the Clariion fcli (via hyperterm) to build your lun or use navi on the win2k server to manage the clariion thru the serial port (com1).
If neither of the above is the problem, you'll need to go to the hosts tab of navi and properties to set up navi to manage the array.

Fantastic, Thank you I went to fcli as suggested and bound the disks. Now it is up and running. 1 last question re the SPSs. I have a yellow light showing on one on the battery symbol with an X and no lights on the other.
When I first powered up there was no charge at all but after 2 days the system will run on battery power from the SPS with the yellow light. Is the SPS just charging and will it go green or will I need to find another?
Thanks

Glad you were able to get things rolling, awsau. The SPS should go green within an hour at most. One that hasn't been used for awhile might need a 6-8 hour charge but if it isn't green by now, you likely have bad batteries in the sps. The Clariion will not allow write caching to be used unless you have at least one sps in working order ( green light).

Hello Maultier,

My array was running 9Gb's and i thought I would upgrade to 36Gb's, but they show as unsupported and will not bind. Are they usable or do I need to buy EMC/Clariion disks.

Thanks
awsau

It's most likely the flare code is too low. Current level is 2.04.51. That release supports disks up to 72gb.

One other note, here. Be very careful with the code drives when you upgrade to the 36gbs. Code drives are in slots 0,1,2. This Clariion needs a reboot after replacing a code drive or it will not build code to the replacement drive. I believe the 5400 needs at least two code drives to boot. So, the best thing to do is to unbind whatever is installed in those slots and slowly swap in the 36's one at a time with a power cycle following each change. You can then rebind and reload from backup.

Hi Maultier

Thanks for that. The current code is an ancient 02.04.17. Is the 02.04.51 available to download?

Thanks
awsau

I don't know of any place to download the code. Perhaps someone else in the forum may know. EMC owns the legal rights and licenses the code. Options: EMC might rev it for the price of a service call. ... Park Place Intl resells and services Clariion... they might be a resource. A forum member with similar gear may be able to create a 'seed drive' for you. Some of the resellers on Ebay may be helpful as well. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back