Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FC3 permissions issue, retrospect backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

prophotodx

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
I have two FC3 servers running samba shares, one of which hosts the domain. I back up via retrospect everynight two separate hard drives, which I swap out weekly.

The issue is with permissions. I cannot log into the machine from my xp desktop via either retrospect or My Network Places (MNP). MNP gives me an error that says

...Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one username, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.

I can connect to 3 out of the 5 shares with no issues, they are using the logged in XP domain user. The others need to be backed up but I get the above message and Retrospect 6.5 also has an issue.

Has anyone ever installed the linux client on FC3? The instructions are no good from Retrospect. IDEAS!!??

Is there a simple idea of how I can fix this in the smb.conf file or something to allow Retrospect to backup? I tried logging into the windows machine as root after creating a user root but it will not let me in.

Thanx!!!

DBX
(Try it my way, it might work...)

"...Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one username, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again."

As the per the error on your XP box says. You cannot connect to to different shares on the same remote machine using different user names. To disconnect existing shares, you'll need to go to a command prompt and type net use * /delete (somebody corret me if I'm wrong).

--== Anything can go wrong. It's just a matter of how far wrong it will go till people think its right. ==--

I found out what the problem was, on the server with the issue I needed to add root to the smbpasswd database. Thanx for your help.

DBX
(Try it my way, it might work...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back