Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fbackup to remote host/tape drive errors out...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goBoating

Programmer
Feb 8, 2000
US
Hello All,
'Long time member of the Perl and CGI fora with a new job that has more sys admin than Perl. I have two HP-UX 11.23 boxes. They are two boxes in a test lab and are not configured alike. The first, box1, has a tape, the second, box2, does not. I want to do the seemingly simple trick of backing up box2 to the tape drive on box1 using fbackup.

When I try this from box2:
Code:
# fbackup -f box1:/dev/rmt/0mnb -i ./some/small/dir/of/files -v
I get:
Code:
fbackup (1004): session begins on ... some date.
fbackup (3301): could not open output file box1:/dev/rmt/0mnb
fbackup(3019): would you like to enter a new output file?
n

I am doing this as root.

When logged into box1, I can write and read to/from tape.

To try to make sure that there were not differences between the user setup on box1 vs. that on box2, I created a new user named 'backup' on both boxes with the same groupid and uid. When on box1, the box with the tape drive, as that new user, I can run fbackup and write/read to/from tape. When on box2 as that new user, I can not. I get the error shown above.

I've found several sources that say fbackup uses the same mechanisms as remsh and that getting remsh working will get fbackup working.

So, my strategy, at this point is get remsh working from box2(no tape) to box1(tape). Then, try fbackup, again.

I have an /etc/hosts.equiv file on both boxes that list each other and users root and backup.

I have a .rhosts file in the user 'backup's home dir.

An nslookup from each box for the other shows the correct info. 'ssh' works in both directions between the two boxes.

Oddly, when on box1 (with tape) logged in as 'backup' user, I can rcp files from box2. I can not do the reverse. From box2 to box1, rcp fails.

NIS was partially setup on box2. I believe I have undone that partial setup. In /etc/rc.config.d/namesvrs, I have set NIS_CLIENT=0, commented out the NIS_DOMAIN entry, and set NISPLUS_CLIENT=0. Then, did /.../nis.client stop.

I modified /etc/nsswitch to point any that had been pointed at nis, to point at local 'files'.

Did 'inetd -c' on both boxes.

And, still, remsh and fbackup will from box2 will not connect and run on box1.

Any ideas, strategies for chasing down what might be awry would be greatly appreciated.

'hope this helps

If you are new to Tek-Tips, please use descriptive titles, check the FAQs, and beware the evil typo.

Small addition....

When trying rcp from box2 to box1, like:
Code:
# cd /home/backup/
# rcp -r box1:/home/backup/someDir ./
I get:
Code:
rcmd_af: Lost connection

Frustrating....

'hope this helps

If you are new to Tek-Tips, please use descriptive titles, check the FAQs, and beware the evil typo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back