Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Faxing from with in VFP 9.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

budman48

MIS
Dec 20, 2002
US
I would like to send a fax to a bunch of clients that I have in a table with their fax number in the table. The fax would be a frx. Does anyone have any software that would work with VFP. I want the user to do nothing. Just go and select the report and from there the client list would load their numbers and send the fax to each client. Any help would be great. Thanks

A word of caution:

As we never send faxes via VFP, its easier to use the Fax Machine, I do Not know if the following code will work, Nor do I know who the author of the following code is. I found it on my machine, obviously I copied it from some where.

Create your report, save it as a document then use the following code

Code:
oFaxS = CREATEOBJECT('FaxComEx.FaxServer')
oFaxD = CREATEOBJECT("FaxComEx.FaxDocument")
lcmachine = "\\servername here"

oFaxS.connect(lcmachine)
oFaxD.body= "Full path document name"

oFaxD.Priority = 1
oFaxD.Recipients.Add("fax number here")
oFaxD.AttachFaxToReceipt = .T.
jobid = oFaxD.ConnectedSubmit(oFaxS)
RELEASE oFax
Good Luck

When I had to Fax Items from VFP, there was a FAX server running "ZETAFAX"

All you have to do was create 2 TEXT file's
One the body from any source (code, Report form, etc).

Second was a header file that told ZETAFAX where to sent it, where the body text file was Etc.

Place the 2 files in the network where ZETAFAX could find them and you were done.

David W. Grewe Dave

One of my client's FAX's out to their customers every day using a VFP6 application.

They are using a Windows 2000 Server which is running Microsoft Shared FAX.

Within the individual workstation's they have installed the M$ Shared FAX as a 'printer' and they have configured their MS Outlooks to utilize the MS Shared FAX Service.

When the VFP application needs to send a FAX it sends it first creates a TIF Image file of the FAX document and then sends an 'email' to MS Outlook with the TIF Image file as an attachment. As long as the 'email' includes the appropriately formated To: field value it will alert Outlook to send things out through the FAX Service.

This approach has worked well for multiple years and has handled over 100 auto-generated FAX's per day.

The advantage of this approach is that it uses a free Microsoft FAX Service which is centralized for the entire company rather than a workstation oriented send. Other centralized FAX servers would work, but typically they cost much more.

Good Luck,
JRB-Bldr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back