Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Faxes not sent between specific area codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Local5Tech

Programmer
Jul 30, 2014
US
I have now run into this same problem twice now and am looking for an answer to give to user. At two separate locations with the same area code (724) the users cannot send a fax to a specific number with a (412) area code. They are over POTS lines connected directly to their station. They can place voice calls to the intended number with no problems(can hear fax answer), however faxes will not go through and the machines will print out "Data transmission failure" after attempts fail. Faxes to other numbers have no issues, even some numbers with (412) area code. These are specific numbers that won't work. I listened-in to the faxes with my test set and I can hear the far end (412) fax answer, but the tones get jumbled and then disconnect. (In comparison to a fax to a good connection which I can hear the two machines handshake and relay the data) I really have no idea of what type of service that the far end has (Provider, PBX, FAX Server, etc) but both of my locations are Verizon C.O.'s. Has anyone else run into this situation that could shed some light on the subject?

To me it sounds like a wiring or distance issue with the far end POTs line(s). I think a tech needs to test those.

Always look out for the next tech. because one day it will be you!

I have seen similar issues to this between an old fax machine and a BIZHUB all in one printer/FAX/copier. We found some other newer fax machines would transmit and connect ok, so there seemed to be an incompatibility between the old and the BIZHUB software. We changed out the old machine and it fixed the issue, but we were lucky enough to have a spare available. If one of these is a BIZHUB or similar, you might want to see if there is a software upgrade that might help out.

Good point, trvlr1. It may not like the handshake.

Always look out for the next tech. because one day it will be you!

This may be caused by the carrier using VoIP links in their network, faxes can't handle the compression too well, hence voice is fine whilst fax fails!

Thanks for the input guys. If / when I find out what the issue is I will post to give an answer to possibly help others in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back