Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fax won't work on Legend 3.1 with Messaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mushrog

Technical User
Feb 18, 2008
US
My customer moved into a Legend 3.1 with Merlin Messaging. I added a 008 GS/LS ID module for CID. They have 2 copper Loop Start Trunks. I changed the AA to delay to allow CID info to arrive. The fax was on trunk 1 in front of the Legend working on a ComSwitch, but we had to modify it to allow CID through to the Legend. Now the AA comes through and screws up the fax feature, or the ComSwitch answers the call which makes the Legend drop the call and the CID info. I programmed the Legend and Messaging ext 120 as a fax port and installed the fax, removing the ComSwitch. I put line 1 into pool 70. The fax can dial 9 and call out.

Now the problem is the fax answers the incoming call from the AA and seems to begin handshake with the sender, but drops the calls. I have had it called from 2 different faxes, same results. The fax is set on Auto Answer, and minimum rings(2). I monitor with my butt set, and it sounds good, then just drops the call.

Any ideas short of upgrading the 3.1, which is not an option at this time. I know I should never have fired this dinosaur up again, but it worked in the beginning, then the customer wanted horn's and whistles.

I can't. In a cost cutting effort it is the main telephone number for voice also. They moved from single line sets where this worked well. They don't want to change any phone numbers.

Can they afford to bring in one more line, put that in hunt with the main line, and break the fax line out of the hunt? That would be a total of three lines, incoming to the Fax number would be routed only to the fax, incoming to the voice number ring on the phones, the fax line is available for outgoing calls from the phones. All while keeping the existing Main and Fax numbers.

Why don't you ditch the ComSwitch, tie the line straight into the switch and "assign a fax extension" to that automated attendant (see Merlin Messaging System Manager's Quick Reference, pg 74)?

Tim Alberstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back