Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fax setup for IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsjacketsfan

Technical User
Feb 29, 2008
US
I have a point to point T1 coonecting a remote site back to the switch. (Opt 81C)

They use I2004 phones at that site and are connected via a 2600 and a 3550 (Cisco) to the T1.

We have VGW's built and utilize Media Gateway Cards (32 port) without an actual Sig Srv (so I guess you would say we use the gateway card) and the phones (have only 5) work fine.

My question is, could I buy as an example a AudioCode MP-2xx and connect the fax to the RJ11 port and the WAN to the Cisco switch? If this is do-able does it need to be the model w/FXS or FXO, if I am reading correctly FXS connects to an ethernet network, and FXO connects to a VoIP network.
We do not have any other gateways or nodes built in the switch (only IP Telephony node is built) but is this considered a VoIP net or ethernet net (dumb question, but based on all the other posts I am not sure) the DSP settings on the node have all fax codecs enabled

This is only for testing purposes, so it must be very inexpensive, as we are only looking into alternatives to their POTS line they already have for their fax (problem being reoccurring monthly cost)

Our set-up seems so simple I have a feeling the faxing may not be. I don't know whether SIP would work, or do we need an adapter that does H323 or are we requried to build other nodes etc...

If I can be so bold to request that the ideas and/or solutions be kept to the above description, because no solution (i.e. upgrade, stop being so cheap etc..) outside of the above description will be looked at (unless we just don't have it set up correctly).

Of course if that means it can't be done, we are fine with that.

Thank you all in advance for any and all help that can be provided.

FXS ports provide analog dial tone to station equipment.
FXO ports are usually connected to a POTS line for PSTN connection.

I currently have an AudioCodes MP-112 (2 port FXS) SIP terminal adapter that I am using to test for fax and modem support. I want to get away from Analog line cards in my switches.

I use the adapter configured as a SIP endpoint in my current VoIP implementation consisting of 10 CS1000 systems running 4.5, 5.0, and 5.5 software. I am able to fax to all sites, and to the PSTN using SIP. I can also establish modem connections to all sites and PSTN, and I find the connections to be extremely stable.

The MP-112 I purchased was less than $200.00, and a 24-port model is less than $1,500.00 (I don't have the pricing in front of me).

If you already have an NRS in your enterprise, and at least 1 site with SIP trunks, you should be able to implement this type of solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back