Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fax on Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ospe

Programmer
Nov 17, 2005
VE
I'm trying to setup fax on desktop for a CP 4.0, The guide Meridian 1 & CP Server Configuration tells me that users can who have fax capabilities can have one DN that serves as both their regular extension number and their fax number. The user’s phone must be forwarded to the Multimedia Messaging CDN.

When I forward the ext to the Multimedia Messaging CDN I received a fax tone I dont hear the user greeting that allows send a fax or leaving a voice message. In the Service Directory Number SDN that I added appears as Fax in media type.

Any idea?

Are you logging-in to your email client as the owner of the mailbox that has the fax number DN listed in its mailbox??

Ours is setup as 2 separate dn's, have not tried it as the same DN for both yet...

Hello you can forward the Ext. to the default voice messaging CDN, and use a mailbox class that has fax capabilities. In this case the user greeting will be headed and at any time the greeting is played you can leave a fax.

marc3lo explanation will work; however, what happens is that when the Call Pilot realizes that there is a fax on the other end instead of a voice, it will then answer the fax machine, this may happen in the middle of the greeting, when it is time to leave a message, basically how ever long it takes for the Call Pilot to determine it is a fax.

Although this can be done from a technical standpoint, it isn't a "clean solution". It is better for the user to have a fax number and a voice number; DCFW for phantom for the fax to the multimedia CDN and the voice number to the Voice Messaging CDN. There is no "waiting" for a fax tone then.

Thanks for your answers, When a extension is forwarded to voice messaging CDN It just receives voice messages If I can´t send a fax always receive erros on my fax machine (I think callpilot never send the fax tone the fax machine to establish the connection), When I forward the extension to multimedia messaging CDN I just receive a fax tone (The "Manual Meridian 1 and CallPilot Server Configuration" for CP 4.p page 107 mention that Users who have fax capabilities can have one DN that serves as both their
regular extension number and their fax number).

I dont know If I have to set up any other detail in CP?

The "Manual Meridian 1 and CallPilot Server Configuration" for CP 4.p page 107 mention "Users who have fax capabilities can have one DN that serves as both their
regular extension number and their fax number", but It never mentions that I can receive voice and fax on the same DN, I think that the solution is to have a phantom DN for fax messaging.

That feature using one DN does work, but it takes a while for the Call Pilot to realize that it is a fax machine and not a voice session.

Ok.. Then Do I forward the user extension to a voice messaging CDN, and once the calling hear greeting can send the fax?

You will hear the greeting, it is when the person is supposed to leave a message that it changes to a fax tone. It will always answer as a voice call first because a voice call only takes up two channels; it only takes the second channel required for faxing when the Call Pilot determines that it is a fax call. You need to forward all calls voice and fax to the Multimedia CDN which is either for voice or fax. If this is not already in our SDN table, it will require a change in the configuration wizard and a reboot of the Call Pilot to acquire the CDN.

Thanks..I created the CDN as Multimedia Messaging and I run the wizard, The CDN was acquired by CP, But I forward a extension the CDN I just hear a fax tone I dont hear the mailbox greeting, When I see the SDN details the media type appears as: Fax, and I just can select fax or speech recognition as media type. I dont know if I have to setup something else in the user mailbox to reproduce the greeting through Multimedia Messaging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back