Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fax modem too slow to handshake

Status
Not open for further replies.

BPMurphy

Technical User
Aug 14, 2007
Fax modem (GTW V.92 Voicemodem) suddenly failed to handshake quickly enough to receive a fax. The sending fax stops trying because my fax won't handshake quickly enough. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the modem several times. I purchased another modem (USR 56K Faxmodem PCI) but it does the same thing. We had been using this setup for years and it just started to do this last week. I can send faxes without any problem. I have two Gateway systems that are nearly identical and the other one still operates correctly. I have compared settings between the two and can't find any differences. We had the phone company come out to check the line as well.

I guess that the obvious question would be does the modem from System A work in System B and vice versa?

I have seen the line terminations cause this issue with modems when attempting to connect at V.90 rates, but never at fax rates. Have you tried swapping phone lines between the two systems and replacing the cords from the wall to the fax?

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back