Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fax extension busy instead of campon

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJDiver

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2003
US
The company I work for has FAX machines are connected to an analog extensions on a Mitel HX 5000 5.1.20. I recently discovered that when a FAX machine is receiving or sending a FAX, a second call to the same FAX number will not see a busy signal, just the normal ringing. Since the second call isn't answered (unless the first FAX call finishes and the second call is still ringing), some FAX machines are confused and call label the call as a communication error and don't retry the call. As far as I can tell, this situation has existed since the system was installed over six months ago.

Looking at the extensions, I found a flag "DID/E&M Receive Busy Instead of Camp-On". I set one extension to yes, and this seems to solve the problem. I explained the problem to the tech who installed the system and asked if there was a problem with setting this flag to yes. He replied, via e-mail, saying I needed to "setup a call routing box in VM, name it FAX BUSY. For the day and night greetings record a busy signal 10 seconds long. Assign them to the box. In the digit translation, do not enter anything and for ttime out, put hang up. Then we need to setup a system forwarding path and name it FAX BUSY, in the first destination, set it to the call routing box you made.. Once that is made, on all fax machine extensions, we need to assign them that system forwarding path. Once it is assigned, we need to double click on it, and make sure that the forwarding conditions are correct." He didn't answer my question asking if there would be problems with setting the DID/E&M Receive Busy Instead of Camp-On to yes.

Is there a bug in the software, did I misunderstand what the DID/E&M Receive Busy Instead of Camp-On is supposed to do or have the tech and I failed to communicate? Why wouldn't the DID/E&M Receive Busy Instead of Camp-On option create a busy for a second call to a FAX line?

Thanks a million for any help!

Jeff

There is no problem setting the flag to yes. Your problem is exactly what the the flags intended purpose is for.

Enabling that flag (DID/E&M Busy)is the correct method. I do this as default on all FAX/Modem ext's. I also enable "Extended Ring Cadence" and disable "Camp-On Indications" on all my Fax ext's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back