Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fax error-no carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

spottydog10

Technical User
Feb 14, 2005
GB
Hi all,
Using a customers intel ham plus v90 modem to send faxes, I keep getting the error " no carrier". I tried several numbers. The fax picks up tries to send then the error message. I tried Winfax and bitware.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Need a bit more info. Is the speaker on? Do you hear it dialing? Does that line even get a dial tone? Did it ever work? If so, when did it stop working? What operating system?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Hi,
Speaker is on and I hear it dial.
The fax at the other end picks up
Windows xp pro.
I got it to work using the built in Windows xp fax ok, but when I use winfax pro, it sends the first fax succsessfully, but when sending one immediately after I get a " no modem found" error. If I leave it 5 mins it then sends the next one. Is there a command to release the modem somewehere?
Thanks for any help.

Do you have the latest drivers?

Winfax is picky, plus winmodems are picky. A combination which is not good.

I use external serial port modems for this reason.

In addition to updating drivers, you might look at updates for winfax, and search symantec's knowledge base for modem issues. There may be controls, or an area to put in initialization strings. You can also enter modem init strings globally within the control panel>modems.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back