Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FAVORITE RACK FOR HOME LAB 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

maczen

Instructor
Apr 12, 2008
US
Thought that I would put this question out there as well since I am on a roll.. LoL

I have been researching racks for my home lab and have run across several thus far (I will provide the list for fellow lab builders below) but wanted to get some insight from you guys regarding.. well.. your personal favorites/suggestions..

I have two ways of doing this.. The all in one rack or the break my lab in two approach... My lab will need a 20U rack minimum so two 12U racks would work as would a single 24U..

I have found these racks thus far!
12U CabAndKits ($40)
24U CabAndKits ($120)
12U CiscoKits ($30)
20U CiscoKits ($100)
16U through 28U DANTRAK (Skeletek) ($89 - $159)

Just wanted to inquire on any other favorites before making that purchase!

Thanks again All!

By the way.. This is by far the best Cisco forum that I have located... I really want to thank CiscoGuy and Burt (and every one else) for all of the assistance!!!

~B

maczen,

At the college I teach we mounted Heavy Duty casters on a 2' by 3.5' piece of wood - built up the sides with 2x4s and mounted a 5ft tall 19inch rack near the frt edge, a 5 foot tall ladder piece mounted to the back edge and a short ladder piece connecting the 2 at the top. We painted the whole thing black and mounted 2 8 outlet power strips on each leg of the ladder. The routers and switches are mounted on the rack and power cords go out the back. Very easy to move around and it fits through door ways!!!

I saw the racks that Cisco uses at Networkers - Cisco Network convention held every year - I went to 5 of them :)

They use "DJ" cases with racks mounted inside so that when the show is over they put the doors on and ship it as-is

I found a SKB case on eBay several years ago for $150 with casters - guy worked for Disney and met me half way between Tampa and Orlando to pick it up! It has 2 racks inside - 1 facing out the front and 1 facing out the back - I think each side is 16u - I have 2500/2600 routers and switches mounted on both sides. The front and back doors come completely off - makes it easy (LOL) :) :) to move rack from home to work in my Jeep.

It is a lot like this -

From those you listed I like the one from Ciscokits on wheels - like the warranty for a piece of metal :) :)
I think unless you are in a home where you know you will not have to move the rack - on wheels is GREAT!!!

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

When I was looking for a rack at home, I kept a good eye on ebay. Almost bought one of the 12U freestanding racks you posted, but then found a good deal on a 4ft rack.

CiscoGuy, really like the idea of mounting the rack to a little cart. I've got some wheels from work that we had on some mobile computer carts, that I've been thinking about using on mine, just so I can roll it out of the way when it's not in use. Was just going to mount the wheels right to the rack itself but worried about the base and it being a little tipsy.

I'm with you too on the rack on wheels. We can't all be like Scott Morris:

Thanks guys.. That is an awesome rack! My Academy instructor mentioned putting the rack on wheels a couple of weeks ago when I first brought racks up in class.. That is a good idea.. I broke down and bought a Skeletek... Not quite ready to invest $500 in a rack yet but I did bookmark that site... Really cool..

I bookmarked that lab as well! I can not get over that!!! I won't be going all out like that obviously but the reason I have been pumping so much into my lab is because I plan on working toward CCNP on my own. Just enrolled in a bachelor's program at DeVry (Bachelor's of Technical Management - Network Security Major) and will not be able to do that and the Academy Connection - CCNP simultaneously.. Just want to get the lab (purchasing) out of the way so that I can move on to other things..

I really appreciate all of the assistance in helping me get started guys! I really am glad that I found this forum!!!

maczen,

Where we did our "train the trainer" CCNA training they had 7 foot racks on the wood bottoms with casters making them about 7.5 feet tall - had to tilt them to go through the door.

They also had just the rack - no ladder out the back so you had to be very carefull about getting too top heavy :) and the base was only about 2' by 2' - we learned more then just CCNA in those classes so when we made our racks we made them shorter - to go through doors and a wider/longer base - very stable when moving. The ladder part on the back makes a great place to mount your power strips and keeps all the electric cables out of the way of the network cables.

Rolling racks for labs is great! We are always having to take them to other parts of the campus for demos or "open houses" for new students!

At home it is nice to get out of the way when not in use!

Glad you are getting your BS - I am just about done with my BS in Management Technology at St. Petersburg College - whole degree is online - I went to campus once to meet the Dean! Buy all my books online at Amazon! Classes are great! Hope to start my masters in Jan. 2009

Glad that YOU found this forum - you have added a lot!!

E.A. Broda

Same here.. Definitely taking the online route.. You helped me make up my mind as far as the rack is concerned.. The Skeletek rack comes on a wheel base so I went with that one.. Could make one but if it comes like that for the same price as the others..

It "should" be here Friday... Then I can quit moving this junk around and get it organized.. LoL This will be nice... Ordered everything that I need/want with the exception of a remote power device... There are several available but that is an expensive "luxury".. So I bought a regular rack mount power strip.. LoL

Can worry about remote power management later..

Well I have to hit the books...
L8r

Mac- Are you reading my mind? I was just looking for a rack to get for myself yesterday i was looking and saw some for $800 and was like "No f'n way i'm spending that much" then i log in today and see your post!!! STAR!!!!

There's a place near me that sells all kinds of server stuff, including racks. They had one with a Cisco Access Server in it they were selling for about $400, rack and all (with a PDU in it).

Burt

bobbyforhire,

$800 ------- WTF are you looking at for $800? :)

I have seen some fancy Cabinet Racks with doors and locks but just a rack should run you about $100.

E.A. Broda

LoL... The Skeletek rack is awesome.. Especially for the money... Like the fact that it can be expanded upon.. (May need to weld the base if you are going too high with it)...

I have 2x 3640, 3x 26xx, 1x 2511 and 3x 2924 in the 20U... Sweet!!!

Hi Maczen,

I too just got the 20U Skeletek rack. Construction is really study. Thanks for the recommendation.

Kin

No prob.. I am actually going to buy another!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back