Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Favorite brand for big desktop-replacement laptops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2001
US
All,
I've run a Dell-only shop for several years now, but recently they threw my account management into a tailspin, and at the same time apparently discontinued the Vostro 17"-screen laptops that have been a staple of our office environment for a while. So, I'm now looking around at any other brands that I can start using at least as a second default desktop standard, and potentially cut over to that brand entirely in the future. I recently had to work on an HP of somewhat similar specs and was less than thrilled that I needed to go through the keyboard to do what should have been a simple HD swap.

So my question is, what laptop brand do you prefer (other than Apple please), and why? Please keep in mind that I'm working with large low-end desktop replacement machines so netbooks and ultrabooks really aren't a factor for me.

Thanks,
-SteveTheGeek

CompTIA: A+ (WfW 3.11), Network+
Microsoft: MCSE+I (NT4)
Novell: CNE (4.11, 5.0)
Citrix: CCA (Metaframe 1.0)
Cisco: CCNA-Security (current)

Do you prefer blondes, brunettes or redheads - kind of a similar question. You get strong opinions on either but often not based on fact.

So, my opinions or recommendations would have been........
Dell, but that's out (not supported by report below).
Sony = more expensive, somewhat fragile (not backed up by report below)
Toshiba = reliable (IS backed up by report below)

2011 article but interesting
Pay attention to the link to the reliability link
and report

My favorite is MSI, but they are hard to get. The reason I like them, is they are really easy to work on, and get access to everything with a minimum of screws and removal procedures to get to the hardware. Also I had a desktop replacement that is over 3 years old, and it still is working great. Next I like my Asus, but it is heavy. And third is Toshiba, I've owned a few, and always held up well.

Im in the Asus camp. They also offer an international warranty. They also offer a nice range of budget to top end machines.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

1832163.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back