Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Faulty tape drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbie1221

Vendor
Dec 20, 2008
Hiya,

Our playback logger (installed last sep) has stopped retrieving calls/loading the tapes. The logger is set to retrieve, after inserting the tape the lights all flash on as busy for what seems like an age, but the status does not change to 'ready' instead stays on 'waiting for media insertion'. Numerous tapes have been tried and the drive cleaned.

The status in the retrival wizard says 'automatic archiving'? and the status shows a very information - 'error'. I toggled with the archive to retreive and vice versa to try and get this to show retrieve.

Looking at the tape through the Backup manager it shows it's loaded and ready.

The tape drive has been replaced but this did not fix the issue. The tape out light is on a constant red when there is no tape in the drive if that means anything?

-DDS4
-NP3
-Logger 9.01 Playback only

Any help would be welcomed

hi when drive was changed was latest firmware applied as dds4 were a pain without the correct firmware.

If thre tape out light is always on then i would check the loggers logs and also device manager to ensure logger is picking up drive and no errors are present in event viewer. has the latest patches been applied to system and logger ?

Hiya,

Thanks yes it has the latest service pack and firmware installed. The logs show the tape load OK. Backup manager has the issue it seems with the informative 'error' description.

The logs have shown a couple of months ago an Error of 7 and Error -15. Does anyone know what these mean?

hi ,

Error 7 = PBUHasNotYetExpired: media expiration time is still valid.
Error -15 = PBUNotReady - caused by manual eject. (On hp)

I suggest that you check the ID 6 (deck 1) & 5 (deck 2) and use NICE driver from the Logger CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back