Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fatal IP Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milli

Technical User
Feb 2, 2001
DE
I got win95 in a network with IP, then i updated it on 98 an the IP protocol got scrambled. When i try to ping i get an Fatal IP Error and when i try to ipconfig it says cannot read IP configuration. now the clou is i still can logon to domain but i can´t got to internet because he´s not finding the getway and i can´t use a tcp/ip printserver. Need help, please.%-)

That sounds like missing or incomplete Installation of TCP/IP. The logon to domain does not use TCP/IP.

hnd
hasso55@yahoo.com

But how can i fix it. I already tried to reinstall the ip protocol but the effect was the same?

In windows 95 the command to see the ip and the network details is winipcfg.

Hi Milli,
Try removing TCP?IP, reboot the comp, install & configure tcp ip reboot and chk - hopefully it shud be up - not a major one.

Best Regards,
- Vijay Guneta

In win95 there is a utility called ws2bakup. This utility re-installs all the tcpip files in windows. I am not sure if this applies to win98 as well. You may want to check microsoft's website to make sure. This utility has gotten me out of the same predicament many times.

Ivan Romero
iromero@fedex.com
MCNE MCT MCSE MCP+I A+

Hi there - wondering if anyone has any ideas on this one... ok, I know that the ws2bakup works in win 98 cos I've just used it...however my problem is slightly different - I repair the tcp/ip files using the ws2bakup utility but then when I go to restart my machine it has disabled my network card! - I have to re-enable it by re-installing the drivers for the card which works, but then when I go to use the internet again I get the same fatal IP error.

Anybody have any thoughts? cheers.

Ross.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back