Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fatal ip error / disabling network card

Status
Not open for further replies.

ross607

Technical User
Feb 21, 2002
GB

Hi there - wondering if anyone has any ideas on this one...

Have recently installed windows 98 onto a pc - got it networked up and is working fine, however when I come to check the internet connection, I get the fatal ip error.

I have repaired the tcp/ip files using the ws2bakup utility but then when I go to restart the machine it has disabled my network card! - I have to re-enable it by re-installing the drivers for the card which then works, but then when I go to use the internet again I get the same fatal IP error.

Anybody have any thoughts? Besides completly removing win 98 and re-installing!! cheers.

Ross.

How are you configuring the IP address? If the IP address is static make sure that it is unique on the network. Also try switching the network card to make sure it is good.

The IP addresses are being assigned automatically through the dhcp manager on the network, I guess I could try assigning a manual one and seeing what happens.

The network card was working fine before and works when I re-enable the card but I'll try switching that also.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll post back if I come up with a soloution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back