Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fatal exception error

Status
Not open for further replies.

chetah25

IS-IT--Management
Jan 15, 2002
GB
I have a machine running windows 98 that has started getting the following error when it boots up. Any ideas on how to locate the problem and how to get rid of this kind of error.

error is a blue screen that has the following:

WINDOWS
A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:00000017.
The current application will be terminated.
*press any key to terminate...
*Press ctrl Alt del to restart.....

I press a key and it goes to the desktop.

when the machine starts to boot hit f8 and pick the number that states to create a bootlog and then ok wait until the fatal exception or error happens again andd then shut down immediately then reboot and hit f8 once again and go to command prompt only then type edit bootlog.txt and look for the last line to load, that is your culprit

If only it was that simple :)

That bootlog will give you some information,,,, for sure,
but not always the exact cause of your problem, for instance, it may just show,,,,,,, nvid.vxd - Failed to load,
and then you must track that down.

It maybe that a network driver is corrupt, or an IRQ is wrong,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

However, from my experience, the "0028" errors are software related... (after getting this info from a knowledgeable tech at Microsoft).

Use the msinfo32 to edit what software starts on your computer.

UNCHECK one program at a time ........... and reboot.

You should find the problem by stopping a faulty program from failing to load at startup,,,,,
It is most likely, or could be, an AntiVirus program.

Norton ? McAfee ? Are they on your computer ?

Go to:
> START
> PROGRAMS
> ACCESSORIES
> SYSTEM TOOLS
> SYSTEM INFORMATION

There you will find:
A tool bar:
> Choose TOOLS
& System Configuration Utility

> Go to Startup

Look at the list of programs / apps that load on startup.
As I said, you can go through these ONE AT A TIME, and elimanate these from starting up.

> You have to reboot each time after unchecking one,,,,, which is good, as this will give you an immediate test.

GL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back