Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fatal Exception Error during Booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow

Technical User
Jun 18, 2001
GB
I am running Windows 98 SE with Athlon. During start up, I get a blue screen telling me that there is a fatal exception error OE at 0147:0000663D. After that message, sometimes the windows boots up just fine. But at other times, it just hangs or goes into windows and does not load any desktop icons and get's frozen. Also, this exception error does not always appear. My system is pretty much new except the hard drive which I did not upgrade. Someone tells me that the problem might be caused by the start up files which are written on bad sectors of the hard drive.... Someone else tells me it's because Athlon doesn't work well with Windows, but I used to have the same problem when I had my celeron with the same hard drive....
Please help...

Seol

Well I am not an expert by any means. It sounds like what you said someone told you, and that is that your start up files are written on bad sectors of the hard drive. maybe you should format the hard drive and reinstall everything and that should take care of the problem. Good Luck!!

I'm with gamblers, it sounds like your HDD needs a little TLC. Before you format, backup your data and try reinstalling Windows withour formatting, it'll let you write the startup files to new sector, maybe overwrite some old ones and give you files that aren't corrupt.

AidanEnos

Advice:
Before you format your drive, make sure this is the problem.
Try to get another drive that has same OS and see if it will
boot up your machine. You should be able to borrow one from
a friend, or maybe from your workplace. Formatting you drive sounds like a quick and easy fix, but if it wasn't the problem, you've just created more work for yourself. And possibly more problems. (lost files, drivers, etc.)

Lisa Merchant
L&M Computer Services
l-mcomputer@home.com

Just some friendly advice. I would change the title to read" During" and not Druing. It really looks bad and sticks out like a sore thumb. Just edit it and change. Anyways what I would do, just from my own personal experience, I would do an FDISK and make sure you use large disk support and then delete any or all partitions and then reformat your HD and Do a clean install of Windows and any other programs that you may need or want. I reformat at least 3 times a year and as a result My hard drive is always running at it's optimal peak along with my other programs. I find that doing this my system runs error free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back