Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fatal error installing an installation package

Status
Not open for further replies.

falconsight

Programmer
Apr 18, 2007
SV
When I try to install a package done with Vb 6.0 deployment packager, I receive this error

"error fatal no se puede generar el archivo de registro de operaciones de instalacion"
("Fatal error: could not generate installation registry operations file" or something like that)
If I use the product in my machine (the one that generated it) there is no error. Any other machine we've tried, generates de same error.
I've been using the default settings from the deployment wizard (Selecting only the .exe to be included).
Scouring the net I've found hints as it may be that my WinXp is english version, and my Visual Studio is spanish.
Some other said that is including (or leaving out) the MDACtyp archive.
Please... Any help will be very apreciated

Where is it trying to make registry changes? What part of the registry?

[red]"... isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway?! I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you are good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick[/red]

It crashes immediately after being called. Doesn't starts the installation welcome screen, and after going out, no other message. I assume its trying to change the registry, but it doesn't say a thing.

Does the package developer produce an MSI?

[red]"... isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway?! I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you are good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick[/red]

Um ... falconsight is the package developer - at least, so the original post would suggest.

I think what they meant with " package developer", is the program which creates the package.

However, it looks like they are using the P&D Wizard, and not producing MSI packages.

That is what I meant. Since it is not an MSI then I would suggest running RegMon while you run the install to try to identify exactly what the package is trying to do that it can't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back