Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FAT32 folder name change

Status
Not open for further replies.

cricket

Technical User
Jul 5, 2000
IE
I have a FAT32 USB drive (1TB) on my Satellite decoder, and it records programs.The program is usually stored in a folder with one or more files depending on record time and HD or SD. Normally I can then take the USB drive to my PC for playback whenever and wherever, or else play the recording back using the satellite decoder.
I ran into a situation recently whereby the folder name appears to be a problem, as there appears to be an unwelcome character in the name. Win7 cannot open or rename the folder - invalid char or too long filename.

The satellite decoder plays the files perfectly

What would you recommend to enable me access the file on the PC?

Do a CHKDSK on the USB drive when attached to a computer. Sounds like file system corruption.
If that fails, format it using FAT32. Of course you will lose everything.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Thank you goombawaho for your reply.
The USB drive is fine for the satellite receiver and only one folder name is corrupt. I am not going to reformat it.
I want to correct one folder name which the satellite receiver created, but is incompatible with Win 7. The program name created by the satellite receiver had French accented characters or some other non permissable character and this created a read issue in Win 7
I think the problem can be corrected with a hex editor

Well, try it.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

What you need is a hex editor that is able to mount the raw drive and edit individual sectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back