Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FAStT 200 unable to recognise disks 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

garethoakley

Programmer
Jun 2, 2006
GB
I've been assigned to help set up a FAStT 200 for use in the department, but I'm a little new to fibre channel kit. We've filled the array with drives, and when I use the Locate option in Storage Manager the alert lights on the front blink as they should (hence the drives appear to be powered). However, Storage Manager doesn't actually show the disks - all I can see installed is the controller. There doesn't appear to be any jumpers on the back of the drive to do anything like setting channel IDs. Can anyone suggest anything else I need to do before the drives will show up?

How many and what type of storage trays, do you have?

There is a try selector on the back of the trays that
need to be set.

Do you mean some sort of selector on the the drive caddies? Or is this somewhere else in the enclosure itself - maybe a jumper on one of the interface cards. It sounds like you might be on to something :)

As a follow up, the equipment we have is a single FAStT 200 with one interface card. We have no extra enclosures chained on using the expansion port.

I'm assuming you're talking about the drive trays themselves. I'll have a look tomorrow and see if there is anything that can be configured on them.

Thanks for your help so far :)

I looked at the drive trays themselves. The drive is mounted in some sort of caddy, but there does not appear to be any selector. The pins on the front appear to be used for the purpose of connecting indicator lights, but the lights are run from the backplane itself. As for the rear of the drive there is only the backplane connector and nothing else. I can't find anything like you described. Could you tell me a little more about where I should look?

Thanks

The selectors are for external enclosures.

The backplane handles the ID's for the drives. There are no jumpers to set the drive ID.

What is showing in the Storage Manager when you first open it?
In the left pane you should see the storage subsystem(s).

If you double click the subsystem you want what show up?

The left pane should show the logical subsystem, and the right pane should show physical subsystem.

Thanks for the clarification :)

I've added the box to Storage Manager, so it shows up as an unnamed storage subsystem when I first start it up (I can't rename it since Storage Manager needs to see the drives first).

Double clicking the subsytem brings up a new window with a diagram. Controller A is showing (as installed). B is dotted out (I think we went with the 1R version which only includes a single controller - hence no redundancy :-(). The drives are also all dotted out - right clicking them results in a popup menu with all options grayed out.

I'm away until next week now, but will be back to fixing this soon. Thanks for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back