Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FastRAD, Norstar Remote Utilities, and Internet Explorer 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

markatcristorey

IS-IT--Management
Oct 1, 2009
US
Hi all --

I just wanted to share something I recently discovered in hopes that someone with a similar issue might find this one day and it be of help.

I've had a Windows XP box I set up four years ago when we installed our donated Norstar system that I use exclusively for the FastRAD / Norstar Remote Utilities. I have been meaning to virtualize it, but just haven't had a chance yet. Things were working fine and then a few months ago it just stopped working. I could not, for the life of me, figure it out. I have a spare FastRAD that wouldn't work either. I tried uninstalling and re-installing Norstar Remote Utilities, about a billion different settings, and still nothing. I eventually gave up, because I wasn't in a rush to get it resolved.

This evening I desperately needed access to it and it was still not working. I thought about it and thought about it and realized that somewhere in-between it working and not working, I'd let XP install the Internet Explorer 8 upgrade. I wasn't quite sure that was uninstallable, but I discovered it was, uninstalled it, and voila! Now everything works fine!

I have no idea what IE8 would've done that affects NRU / FastRAD / COM ports, but uninstalling it fixed everything. Perhaps it wasn't IE8, but one of the Windows updates that relied on IE8. Maybe there's a whole bunch of folks who have FastRADs working just fine on machines with IE8. I don't know, I just know that uninstalling it fixed the problem for me. I just wanted to post this somewhere in case it helps someone else in the same situation months or years from now.

I've had the same issue with IE8 and Call Pilot. The latest versions of Chrome, Firefox and Opera all work just fine.

Marv ccna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back