Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FastRAD Connection issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikefletcher85

IS-IT--Management
Apr 6, 2016
US
I am trying to connect my FastRAD to my PC to use the NRU tools. I can access F9** and it sees that RAD. I connected the RAD to my PC via serial but when I tell it to connect it says 'RAD did not respond'. I have checked the COM port settings a ton of times. I tried changing between 9600 and 19200 (on both the RAD Admin and on the connection settings on my PC). I even setup Putty to connect to the port and when I power on the RAD it will send 1 character. I have tried 3-4 different RS232 cables with no luck either. Would anyone be able to assist?

System Version: 30DEC04 NAT if that helps.
NRU Tools version is 11.0

Are you using a Straight Through serial cable?

Are you choosing:
Direct connection
The correct password for the RAD

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Also did it not give you an error code?

In future you can refer to your system (KSU) as MICS with 7.1 software

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Im pretty sure its the right cable. I forgot my multimeter to set for sure. But it was on a hook next to the RAD (I assume from the original person that put it in). No error messages, and yes I set it to direct connection and its using the default password (I assume its the same password used to access the RAD ADMIN from a station right?)

Yes
Sounds like cable issue since putty proves com is ok.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

I verified that the cable I'm using has pin 2,3 and 5 straight though. Thats all it needs right? Attached a screenshot of my COM port settings, both in Windows and for NRU and I verified that 'Local baud' is set to 9600 via RAD Admin on a station.

Am I missing something?

Also, this is the cable Im using, just in case it matters:

Curious why you did not mention you were using Serial to USB????

Make sure the drivers are installed/updated and compatible with PC and Windows version

Otherwise test using another laptop or better yet one with a serial port.

If you want to try and update the firmware too this may also test the connection:

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

I left out the fact that I was using a USB to Serial because I know many people dont trust them, but they have never steered me wrong and I have been able to use the same adapter to connect/manage Cisco switches and other RS232 devices.

Ill see what I can dig up about another laptop/computer to try...

I ran the update and it completed successfully. I was able to jump back into RAD Admin on the station and set the password again, but still couldnt connect. Still getting 'RAD did not respond'. Tried @9600 and 19200. Its weird because it updated fine, which to me would signify that the communication (Cable and USB adapter) are working fine.

EDIT: I also forgot to mention that I really appreciate the help with this too. This forum is my last ditch effort to get this to work.

I thought the last ditch effort for IT people was to actually place a service call with a telecom technician?
Snicker!

Never leave anything out.
It has been proven that the USB adapters are indeed sensitive with RAD's and not all makes will connect.
Some have change adapters then it works, also changing to a Serial to Ethernet adapter has worked.

I still say try another laptop with a serial connection, you must have one buried in the pile of old IT junk up against the phone system.
More snickering....but the truth in so many places!

That will determine if maybe its a RAD gone bad.

If need to reset the RAD to factory do this:

enter <Feature 9**>
Under your display, the left softkey - press it 3 times.
Under your display, the center softkey - press it 5 times.
Under your display, the right softkey - press it 7 times.
Press the hold button once.
Press the dial pad number 2 once.
Press the dial pad number 1 once.
Press the release button once.

Also another test is to dial into the system via modem connection.
Select Operator Assisted
When reception answers ask them to do F9*0 to transfer the modem call to the RAD, soon as you hear handshaking press Connect

Or if you have a spare line then set the RAD's programming to Auto Answer that line/target number and slect Remote instead of Operator Assisted.

I presume you are using specs which is Windows XP?

Almost Outta Ammo!

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

I dug out an old desktop and was able to get XP loaded on it. It didnt connect at first, but after the reset I was actually able to get the Browser to work! Having a desktop sitting around running XP just for NRU is not going to fly around here. Im trying to set up an XP virtual machine and see if I get lucky. Ill report back with my findings.

Looks like my issue was a Windows 7 thing :/ My XP virtual machine setup to have full access to my USB to Serial adapter was able to connect right out of the gate!

Thanks Currlycord for all the help! I really appreciate it!

as a side question... is it possible to run a usage report? Im looking to find unused lines (there are many that are plugged in but never used. Like say, can I run a report to that would show each line's amount of use over the last 30-60 days?

there is no report capability that you describe in the Norstar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back