Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FastEthernet issue on a Cisco 3640

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakiraun

IS-IT--Management
Sep 28, 2000
CA
Hi everyone

Earlier today I did an IOS upgrade for an ISP. They are using a Cisco 3640 router to handle all the routing done on their network. Each module bay is occupied by an Ethernet module of some type. Two contain single 10Mbit Ethernet modules, one has a 4 port 10Mbit module, and one has a FastEthernet 10/100Mbit module (part number 1FE-TX). Here's the issue. The IOS they were running prior to the upgrade was 12.0(5). After the upgrade, it was 12.1(8). When it came back up on the new IOS, the FastEthernet reported the line protocol as down!

Now, in my own company, we had a long standing issue with Cisco on one of our 3660's where a 4 port BRI card didn't work until a specific IOS image was loaded. I thought that might be the problem in this case.

Stranger still, I connected a laptop directly to the FastEthernet port using a X-over, and the interface protocol came up. I assigned it a temporary IP, and it was soon pingable as well, yet when I tried again to connect it to the original connection (their Internet access via Ethernet from UUNet Canada), the protocol went down again.

Temporarily, I moved the UUNet provided Internet connection to an unused 10Mbit Ethernet port, and all is fine, but I would like to get the FastEthernet interface working. Does anyone have an ideas or experience with this issue?

Try this.. on the interface use the command keepalive...this should force the ethernet interface into the up condition no matter what happens on the physical side.

Might work.. might now.. your milage may vary :)

MikeS
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

Please double check your duplex and speed settings i can't tell you how many times something crazy happenes during an upgrade. what does this fe int connect to on the otherside if it's a uunet router make sure that your speed and duplex settings are correct. I've had issues with cisco to 3com equipment with regards to hard codeing v. autodetect. if uunet is hard coded so should you if they are auto so should you. If that doesn't work by all means set the keepalive to force the interface up up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back