Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fastest array configs

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulGillespie

Technical User
Jul 2, 2002
GB
Hi guys,
I'm installing a backup to disk server for a client. The server, probably a PE2950, will have a Dell MD3000 or MD1000 DAS. These can hold 15 disks. I was planning on having 14 disks in an array or 2 and 1 for a warm swap.

I'm torn between the capacity of SATA and speed of SAS.

If i use SATA in a RAID 10, this will give me 7 TB of storage. Does anyone know how many megabytes per minute i'll get?

I could really do with the capacity that SATA offers but i only have 4 hour backup window for about 300GB.

Anyone got any suggestions/advice?

Thanks

300MB per second on SATA. SAS are faster and better, as SCSI can handle multiple requests at the same time. SATA cannot.

Burt

With SAS you will get higher I/O for sure, and will scale with a higher number of drives much better then SATA,( that is for each SAS drive added, throughput goes up more than SATA in large arrays). Not sure if it holds true with raid 10, but SATA is noted to take 2-4 times longer for rebuild with raid 5.

Close as a comparison as you will get, granted the Perc 6I is a newer adapter than the Perc 5E, but the numbers would be close. In Dutch, benchmarks are in English....

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Thanks guys, the array will only be handling a single request, i.e. a server backing up (does this count as a single request?)

I suppose what i'm looking for is how many MB per minute can be copied to a SATA array compared to a SAS array?

I know i get a gig a minute when copying data from a RAID1 SAS to an external USB sata disk and i get about 500 MB a minute for the same setup but with SATA disks. Does anyone have any similar comparisons for copying data TO similar raid arrays but with different disks?

Long shot i know.

Thanks

Paul

Check out Adaptec new controller, the Adaptec 5805, Areca also has a new release, really hot adapters, 1.2GHz processors.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back