Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fast Connect mapping root

Status
Not open for further replies.

ldlatrand

MIS
Nov 26, 2001
CA
I'm able to map a windows username to root, but I cannot access any of the fileshares. Mapping windows usernames to any other aix username works fine.
Am I missing something?

Thanks,

is direct login as root disabled on the system?

No, direct login as root is not disabled.
I can remotely login as root using conventional methods.

I just can't access Fast Connect file shares after i've mapped a username to root.

Thanks,

For security reasons, the default /etc/cifs/cifsPasswd file maps the client user name root to the server user name nobody. If it is desired to allow the user name root to map to itself (as a server user name), then this default mapping must be deleted using:

net user /delete root

Then, the user name root can be added as a Fast Connect user with its own encrypted password.

thanks donttreadonme!

1. i enabled user name mapping:
net config /usernamemapping:1
2. i deleted username root:
net user /delete root
3. i added root to fast connect:
net user /add root "password" [/active:yes

but i'm still having the same problem
i can't access the fast connect server.
what am i doing wrong?

thanks

yeah, it feels like i'm the only person using it, since there's not a whole lot of support out there

i forgot to add that after i enabled username mapping, i mapped root to root:

net user /map root root

it authenticated fine (i'm using NT Passthrough Authentication)but i can't access the fast connect server

Not really an expert it myself, and not trying to slough off, however, this IBM link will return 3 queries on Fast Connect (AIX Fast Connect for AIX version 3.1 Guide; AIX and Windows NT: Solutions for Interoperability; AIX 5L and Windows 2000: Solutions for Interoperability), and you should be able to find the answer you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back