Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FAQ on "how to post" required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thargy

Technical User
Nov 15, 2005
GB
Folks,

A recent post answered by one SantaMufasa has finally pushed me over the edge.

There seems to be no limit to what we're expected to be able to answer, based on the vaguest of unclear statements.

Can we agree and create a FAQ on "how to post"?

As a starter, I suggest a model question, with meaningful title, create table statements, insert statements with sample data, and desired return records.

Any SQL etc. already attempted, but which has failed, should also be posted. The FAQ should also contain an example of how NOT to post, so uninitiated readers can compare and contrast.

I don't suggest this to limit postings, but to make the forum more beneficial for all involved.

Regards

Tharg

Grinding away at things Oracular

I second Thargs suggestion

In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.

I think thats good in theory. But do you think the people that post like the one you're referring to, will actually read and follow the FAQ? I would think anyone who would take the time to read the FAQ would most likely be posting with sufficient information anyway. It couldn't hurt. I'm just not sure it will solve the problem.

I suspect jaxtell might be right. I think those people who post without giving enough information to explain the problem are probably quite new to the forum and this is why the information provided is insufficient.

No harm in there being an FAQ though!

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

John,

Out of curiosity, which of the threads was it that sent you 'round the twist?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I provide low-cost, remote Database Administration services: www.dasages.com]

Frankly, there are already good FAQs on how to create good posts such as faq181-2886.

[santa]Mufasa

Maybe we should lobby the site owners to email a 'How to Post' within the confirmation email that you joined the site - then everyone would have a fair crack of the whip at reading it.

Any thoughts?

Fee

The question should be [red]Is it worth trying to do?[/red] not [blue] Can it be done?[/blue]

Fee,

Yours is a capital idea! Would you be willing to send that message to Tek-Tips' management?

[santa]Mufasa

Dave,

it was a post where you answered, and then the respondent duly ignored your correct response and posed the same question again. I cn't spot the thread number, bizarrely enough, since I winged about it.

I just thought that a clear cut statement of the problem should not be beyond the ken of man - sigh. I get this at work, where we have fault reports of "it doesn't work, fix it" in our fault reports.

I was partly annoyed on your behalf.

T

Newbies
I'm Under the gun to get things done
so let me just ask a guru.
They've worked more years than I've been alive,
no need for me... to even give it a try.
I'll just post my assignment, kick back and wait,
for them to reply, with an answer that's great.
I'll take the credit as though it was mine,
but if your answer is wrong, you can be sure I will whine.

Newbie Limerick
There once was a newbie from St. lou
who was stumped on a subject, and wouldn't do...
a web search online,
a waste of their time,
they'd just ask a guru who knew.

[rofl]

[santa]Mufasa

Dave - I will do.

Thanks,

Fee

Since I've got Santa rolling on the floor laughing, here's a couple more:

Parasiting
I'm in a position I said I could do
But haven't experience to back what I knew
So I post in the forum - my defacto mentor
Brain dump your knowledge to this genus stentor
I need it right now, it's an URGENT request!
You've done it all, what would you suggest?
'RTFM', I think not my DEAR friend
I just asked for the steps, beginning to end.

Read the Doc - A Poem
I need a guru who can do
In one statement - a line or two,
To write for me the fix I need
to make me a hero, o yes indeed.
I hack and I paste, can't show my true code
But using your powers I'm sure you will know
What is my issue, time is flying - Tick-Tock...
What do you mean, just go read the doc?

Have a happy whatever-you-celebrate-or-not-thingy.

[2thumbsup][rofl][2thumbsup]

Your feet, DBToo, must be Longfellows!

[santa]Mufasa

Tharg, there are miles too many threads like that, I answered one in the VBScript forum before seeing he'd posted the same question 4 times [sad]

There are several 'How to post FAQ's' (see my sig) but people just ignore them, got to agree though, Fee's idea sounds like a good 'un [smile]

HarleyQuinn
---------------------------------
The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little. - Joe Martin

Get the most out of Tek-Tips, read FAQ222-2244 before posting.

Harley,

you're right, your sig says it all. It just seemed so daft that folks can't see how much a couple of create table statements, followed by inserts, followed by what's wanted back out, significantly improves their chances of obtaining a great answer.

I know when I started out that I posted daft questions, as I was by any definition - a newbie. However, in the intervening years I have taken the trouble to read the odd book, read up on how to pose questions, etc. I have no problem with newbies asking away, but lazy so-and-so's who just can't be bothered, just get my goat.

To watch Dave provide a perfectly sound answer, only to have it ignored lit my blue touch paper. Oracle is tough enough without those who seem to want to make it even harder.

Oh well, 'tis the season of good cheer, so I'll abandon my ranting and raving.

Willif, did you get any response W.R.T. your email to Tek tips managements?

T

Not yet John. I'll let you know when I do.

(See ya lunchtime!)

Fee

I'm at work, feigning useful activity.

"Lunch" might be sooner than you think. A lift to the hostelry ought to be available in the not too distant future.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back