Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fantasy Football League Draft DB

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElSteveO

Programmer
Nov 6, 2001
US
I have a DB with 3 tables:
Fantasy Teams
Players
Transactions

This database will keep track of which fantasy team drafted which (real football) players.

The Transactions table has a lookup field that displays all the players. I want the players to be eliminated from the lookup once they are chosen, but I can't figure out how.

Thanks for any help!
Steve

Thanks Leslie. I will do some reading. Will your suggested reading give me an idea on how to eliminate players in the form?
Thanks

Ok Leslie, I see the error of my ways. I must use a query as the source for a combo box in a form. Any clue as to how I eliminate the chosen players?
Thanks

no, it will just describe why you shouldn't use the lookup field.

In order to find all the players still available, you'll need a query. I'm guessing you have some field that indicates if a player is available?
Code:
SELECT * FROM Players WHERE Avialable = true

and then you can use this query as the source for the form control that you want users to use to pick players.
HTH

Leslie

Have you met Hardy Heron?

Leslie, I really appreciate your input. In which table would I put a field that would indicate whether a player is available? If I put it in the Players table, then how would I mark them available/unavailable through the Transactions table/form?

Thanks,
Steve

Your available players would be
Code:
SELECT Players.*
FROM Players
WHERE PlayerID Not IN (SELECT PlayerID FROM Transactions)
You will need to requery this combo box whenever a new player is added to Transactions.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Great advice. Thanks dhookom! I appreciate your input and that of les.
Steve

I am trying to set up a similar db for our league. As a player is selected, you will need to record which team selected him. Use a query that locates only players without an assigned team and use this in your form list box.

Greg

Greg,
Any way to send me a copy of your database so I can see how it's structured? If not, don't worry.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back