Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fans making scary noises!

Status
Not open for further replies.

progman1010

Programmer
Jan 2, 2008
US
I have a 1U Tyan B2881/GX28 rackmount Server. It's been running great for almost 3 years. However, just recently the fans started making noises. It's hard to describe in text, but i'll do my best....

It/they start up and slow down as if they lose power or are detecting that the case or cpu is cool enough to slow WAY down. It sounds like it's coming from the CPU, but there's about 8 fans in that general area, so i'm not sure.

I have attached a sound clip to help exemplify this- and to give you a laugh. :)

So my question is this: How do I figure out what the problem is? Could it be the power supply? etc.?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

I think this is a pic of the Tyan open with fans exposed:

overall-1-1.jpg

These squirrel-cage fans can make a lot of racket if they're dirty. Try cleaning the server with 1/2-second bursts of canned air and see if that helps. If not, it may be a bad sensor.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Q: How do I figure out what the problem is? Could it be the power supply? etc.?

That's an easy one....with the case cover removed and WITH CARE...stop each fan in turn either by pressing a finger on the center of the spinning fan OR unplugging it from the motherboard power or from jamming it with a pencil etc from a turned off state to running.
Process of elimination..
All should be clean from dust debris and most can be lubricated by removing an end cap (blanking plug) under the specification sticker (if traditional fan) use 2-3 drops of light weight 3in1 type oil from any DIY store.
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

paparazi- your post made me chuckle. you said "with care" and then "jamming it with a pencil." Good stuff.

I can certainly try this next time it makes the noises. The problem is, I have a hard time recreating the issue- it only does this sometimes.

i will clean it out- it has been a while!

What I you saying? I'm reckless......[surprise]
I did say jam from a turned off state, so we are not talking pencil sharpener lol
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

One thing, if cleaning with an air duster make sure it is powered OFF.
I first hand watched a numpty engineer fry a DL370 by doing just that.
The ironic thing is, it was his departments system he took down...

Most people spend their time on the "urgent" rather than on the "important."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back