Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fan for new Antec case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2003
US
I just bought a new Antec SX-1040B2 ATX case. It has a 400 watt Power Supply and I want to overclock my AMD 2500+ Barton processor when I get everything installed. Therefore I am going to put two more fans in the case to make sure its as cool as possible. But I am reading the documentation that comes w/ case and it says it comes w/ 2 standard 80mm fans in the rear of case and space for 2 more optional 80mm fans up front...one inside the 3.5" drive cage. The question is that the space under the cage looks smaller than the other. How can an 80mm fan fit in there? The other space looks like it would support an 80mm but not the one under the drive cage. Also any tips on good quiet fans out there? I am thanking anyone in advance.

Hi,

I don't know about fan brands, but a habile reseller convinced me to purchase some kind of a "pc tuning" fan, which is made of something like transparent rubber with little spangles (like those "magic balls" I had when I was a child). It looks ridiculous with its golden grid to prevent accidental hits ;-) but it definitely pulses air, without emitting noise.

How many fans are you about to run ?
I count 2 on the psu, + 4 in the case, + 1 on the heatsink, + maybe 1 on the agp card = 8 ?

Don't you think that 2 additional fans would be enough ???(1 pushing the air inside the case at the front, the other one extracting it at the rear). I would bet too many fans would result in interferences in the air flow. Is a single in and out flow not easier to set up with 2 fans than with 4 ???

Good luck anyway (I don't trust overclocking).

Cheers,

Grunt

Howdy:

Personnally, I would be looking at upgrading my CPU cooling if you are looking at over=clocking an AMD.. Those things run hot enough normally..

Invest in a better heatsink and CPU fan to keep the processor temp down.. Keeping the case a little cooler may help a bit, but not much !!

Murray

Keeping the case cool definately does help! My two back of the case fans became unplugged once and the CPU temp went up 15 degrees fahrenheit.

As for your case, do you have it in hand? Take one of the fans out of the back and see if it will fit in that front space. Then you know.

FYI: They have really cool new fans that have temperature controls and a front panel dial. You can set them to auto or manual. In auto mode they will speed up and slow down according to the temperature. That way they are quieter when the extra cooling is not needed. Some even have alarms! And "neon" type lights! Probably diodes, but still cool.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back