Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

False Virus, then Keyboard won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

mot98

MIS
Jan 25, 2002
CA
Hi All,

Had some spyware/virus infect one of our computers... cleaned everything up with MalwareBytes and McAfee.. System scans clean now.

However, it looks like the virus did some damage to the keyboard drivers or something.

Booting to safemode allows use of the keyboard. But booting normally it does not. Device manager

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)"

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing but no effect. I have tried the keyboard in other USB ports as well but nothing seems to work.

Anyone seen anything like this before?

mot98
[cheers]
"Is it Friday Yet?

For kicks, run ComboFix in safe mode to make sure that things are really clean.

If that doesn't work, try deleting the keyboard from Dev Mgr as well as the USB root hub entries and let them auto-detect after reboot.

Right - which is why I said to run combofix. If that doesn't help you, call the undertaker. Not exactly, but close.

I went through the false virus thing, but it took out the entire drive. No partitions, nothing. You are fortunate. My backups would not work, so I lost 2 years of data, except that on a whole lot of thumb drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back