Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FalconStor vs Net Apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

wooying

MIS
Aug 30, 2001
US
We are thinking of picking up a box and haven't been real sucessful in finding out how they compare to each other if someone can tell me why one is better than the other or personal experience I would appreciate it. Thanks.

First of all Falconstor is software (atucally called IPStor).

IPStor software runs on a Linux kernel on a server of your choice. It is esentially a storage management appliance - they call it a SAN appliance. Its has many capabilities. You can attach storage to it and present it to hosts as NAS, Fibre Channel, SAN over IP (storage over IP) etc. It also has alot of added features such as Volume Snapshotting, Replication, mirroring etc. It is a very good piece of software.

A Netapp on the other hand is a Hardware solution. It is a high performance FILE SERVER. However Net App have recently added features that allow storage to be mapped to hosts via Fibre Channel. Nett Apps also have Volume Snapshotting features, Mirroring & replication etc.

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve as to which product you should choose or not choose.

If you post some more information I could give you some more advice.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back