Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fake HiJackThis

Status
Not open for further replies.

2ffat

Programmer
Oct 23, 1998
US
The following is from merjin.org, the creator of HiJackThis.
Just a short note on the domain HIJACK-THIS.NET: this is not mine! It has been registered by XoftSpy (who are also on the Rogue Antispyware List on SpywareWarrior.com) and they are luring people into downloading their software believing it is HijackThis. Also, they have registered a few AdWords at Google leading to the same result. I have contacted them about this and received no reply (how surprising). Google can't do much about it since there is no copyright being breached. We'll see where this goes.
In the meantime, if you want to download any of my programs, the official domain is and always will be www.merijn.org.

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]To determine how long it will take to write and debug a program, take your best estimate, multiply that by two, add one, and convert to the next higher units.[/sup]

Unbelievable.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Actually Lloyd, I'm amazed that it wasn't tried sooner...

This trick has been around with fake AV sites for years. There are also a number of fake adware removers that are made look extremely like Ad-Aware.

Just make a difficult job even harder for the rest of us.

[sub]Jeff
[purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day

I was not born cynical - I earned my cynicism through careful observation of the world around me.[/sub]

Thanks for the heads up. I guess this is your fault for not registering every even close sounding domain name including misspelled versions :)

Yea, we know Firefox is great. Some of us have customers who have no choice but to run IE, Blasting IE in every post is not helpful

Huh? billcmh, did you reply to the correct post?

[sub]Jeff
[purple]It's never too early to begin preparing for [/purple]International Talk Like a Pirate Day

I was not born cynical - I earned my cynicism through careful observation of the world around me.[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back