Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

failure: Sorry,_no_mailbox_here_by_that_name._(#5.1.1)/ 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ash26g

ISP
Dec 18, 2002
GB
Dear Expert,

We're having a problem that has started since a day ago.
with no obvious reason all mails sent to any valid account holder on the mail server are rejected and sent back to the sender.

using qmail 1.03 / vpopmail 5.0.1 / Redhat 7.2

the following message is identified in /var/log/qmail/current

failure: Sorry,_no_mailbox_here_by_that_name._(#5.1.1)/

smtp is running on port 25 and can be accessed localy as well as remotely. All users can send but cannot recieve.

MX settings on the nameservers are correct. Infact nothing has been altered.

Any ideas?

your help is much appreciated.

Merry Christmas to you all...

Ash.
--------

I'm impressed by this site and it's good to see open source community in action. However I've not had a reply yet. So I'm backin up all Maildirs and within 10 hours from now will rebuild the server. Unless of course someone else has a better idea...

Merry Christmass everyone anyway.. and please wish me luck...

ps. we got over 100,000 accounts on this server! Yikes!

This has absolutly nothing to do with dns, mx or smtp.

If you are using Maildir to store mails, check what is in your ~/.qmail, i.e. ./Maildir/, and how you start qmail:

exec env - PATH="/var/qmail/bin:$PATH" qmail-start ./Maildir/ splogger qmail &

If ./Maildir/ matches your configuration check that ~/Maildir/ exists and has correct owner and rights settings.

Thanks Booze for your comments.

All the above are correct... I'm baffled what could 've possibly triggered this problem.

cheers,

Ash
---------

Hi,

I would not re-setup the server. There can only be very limited possibilities, like 5 or so.

ok ... that's good to know... could you tell me what I'm missing?

thanks...

Ash
-----

Just to let you all know that we rebuilt the server and everything is fine now. But the question as to what was the cause still remains. I still believe qmail is the best alternative for large scale operations but when things go wrong they really do and that's perhaps something for developers to think about. I think focus should be given to administration and server management interface.

Ash,

I have just noticed that this has been happening to my server as well. Everything is as it should be and it does not work. It is as if the virtualdomains file is not being read. Very strange behaviour! Since there is no time pressure to get my server operational at the moment I would rather get to the bottom of this as it may be of some help to others. Rebuilding would probably fix the problem for me too.

Regards,

Andreas

OOps!

I have figured out my problem. after reading the qmail-send manpage:

qmail-send handles virtualdomains after locals: if a domain is listed in locals, virtualdomains does not apply.

This is why it seemed that virtualdomains was not being read. It wasn't!

I must have added my virtual domains into the locals file at some stage. Don't remember why.

I got something problem. as follows :

sing qmail 1.03 / vpopmail 5.0.1 / Redhat 7.2
the following message is identified in /var/log/qmail/current
failure: Sorry,_no_mailbox_here_by_that_name._(#5.1.1)/

I sure ,my qmail seting is right .

so ,I decided to delete all user account and domain .
and then
I create my domain "./vadddomain xxx.com.hk"
and add new user account "./vadduser mouking@xxx.com.hk"

now , I resolve my qmail problem .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back