Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failure initializing database using raw disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig322

MIS
Apr 19, 2001
US
I am trying to initialize a database using a raw device for the rootdbs. I keep getting an assertion failure during the oninit -i startup.

If I remove the raw device and use a cooked file, I have no problems using the same exact configuration files, etc.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to validate that the raw device is working properly? This is being set up by my system administration group.

TIA

Permissions issue perhaps?

This response relates to AIX OS: the device in /dev (like finfx1) and the raw device in /dev (like rfinfx1) must be readable & writeable and owner = informix with group = informix.

If you're using symbolic links to point to the devices in /dev then the links must also be readable & writeable and owner = informix and group = informix.

The permissions were as mentioned above. Are there any environment settings or informix onconfig setttings that need to be different for raw vs cooked chunks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back