Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failover suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

slylos

Programmer
Feb 17, 2005
US
Whats a good failover idea for qmail? We have another office about 20 miles away - I was thinking of getting a static IP on that DSL connection, and deploying a linux/qmail setup with the same domains/email accounts as the main server, and adding it as a backup MX record in DNS, but it seems to me there should be a better way. Any idea's?

There are a lot of services where, for a nominal fee, they'll act as your backup MX service. If you think you're going to start adding fees to your email program I'd take a look at finding someone (or a local ISP?) who could take up the slack.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

Do you have any suggestions for a backup MX service? Also, these are private domains - meaning we are not leasing out space (we are not web hosts).

No particular suggestions, you'll need to do your own DD.

All you'd need to do is add their mail server as an MX with a higher number (lesser priority) than your current servers. Their email servers would get configured to accept email for your domain(s) and would forward on to your mail server as appropriate.

Example of vendors:

I found some backup services, but they only hold mail until our servers are back online. Does anyone offer a full mail server backup solution?

I thought that's what you wanted. Typically the backup mail services are forwarders who don't provide any direct user access. This allows for mail delivery in cases where your email server goes down.

It is much more challenging to build a redundant mail server architecture, particularly so in your example where you're using two different facilities/networks.

Well lets say I was at the same office on the same network, would you suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back