Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Failing to backup Exchange 5.5 mailboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon99

MIS
Feb 17, 1999
US
WinNT 4 sp6 Backup Exec 8, Exchange 5.5 sp3.<br><br>Error message has started occurring stating that the mailboxes are not being backed up, &quot;Access denied&quot;.<br><br>I have read the Technote (Veritas Knowledgebase) article on the Edbbcli.dll, and re-named the existing dll and re ran Exchange sp 3 install to reinstall the dll to no avail. The user that Backup Exec is configured with has Admin rights within Exchange.<br><br>When I try to select Mailboxes in Backup Selections the dialog box pops up requesting which mailbox it should use, when I input the correct mailbox name for Backup Exec it &quot;Cannot attach&quot;. The Exchange Information Store and database are being backed up (at least no error messages).<br><br>The only thing that I can think of that may have triggered this is the removal of some users from NT/Exchange on this server.

I had the same problem last week, after doing some housekeeping on Exchange Server.<br><br>The Information Store, and Directory backed up okay, but the mailboxes failed, saying 'Access Denied'.<br><br>Having deleted some obsolete mailboxes, I had also taken the opportunity to make the Backup Exec mailbox 'hidden'.( to hide it from the address book of other users )<br><br>Unfortunately, it seems that BackUp Exec could not see it either! After clearing the 'hidden' flag, the backup ran fine.<br><br>I hope this helps.<br><br>Rik

Yep that seemed to do the trick - Thank you. I suppose this is another 'feature' of NT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back